Inbox: They’re forgetting one simple fact

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
eskqkpplfaw0oolafsgs

Sean from DeSoto, TX

Did Mike just put a reference to "A Few Good Men" in the Inbox with that first question of the day? One of my all-time favorite movies.

You weep for the summer and you curse the Wisconsin climate. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know – that Wisconsin summers, while brief, are still better than Wisconsin winters. Good morning!

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

Aaron Rodgers’ passer rating from 2009 to 2014 was pure GOAT. From 2015 to 2018, borderline Pro Bowl. National writers and talking heads have ripped the Packers for not doing enough this offseason to fix the offense. I see a new offense, new playbook, new coaches, help and depth on the OL, more depth at RB and TE, and what I anticipate will be a big jump in second-year receivers. The Packers need AR to be AR 2009-2014 again and reasonably good health. It sounds simple. Is it?

The talking heads have forgotten one simple fact – how good this team is when Rodgers is healthy and at the peak of his powers. But Green Bay remembers. The North remembers. OK, maybe I got a little carried away there, but it doesn’t take away from the fact the Packers are perennial contenders with a healthy Rodgers under center. History has proven that, and if Rodgers is healthy in 2019, I expect Green Bay to be in the hunt once more.

Eric from Sauk City, WI

Spoff was right on when he answered Aaron Rodgers could benefit most from a new offensive system. Doesn't it make sense his receivers will, too, then? Last year, if the rookie WRs had a question for Rodgers or even Davante, the vet could answer it based on history. This year, all parties involved may have to seek out the coach for the answer, thus building camaraderie and a sense of "team-first" learning?

That’s what Adams was saying during voluntary minicamp. Everyone is in the same boat this year. There may even be a time when the young guys pick up a thing or two faster than the veterans. The Packers have been pretty straightforward with their approach to their receiving corps. Personally, I’m excited to see what Matt LaFleur and his offensive coaches come up with for them. The talent is there.

Benny from Modesto, CA

It has been stated that Savage went into college playing cornerback due to his physical attributes, but then was moved to safety. Any idea why he would have made that change? Hard to believe he was not also playing at a high level while playing cornerback.

Plenty of defensive backs can play both spots well, but setting a player’s position is more about putting him in the best spot to succeed. In Savage’s case, the Maryland coaching staff felt he had the necessary physicality and football IQ to excel as a safety. Based on where Savage was picked last month, I’d say they were correct.

Chuck from Antigo, WI

Who will make the biggest improvement at WR for Packers in their second year?

Equanimeous St. Brown. He’s only 22 and would have been a member of this draft class if he hadn’t left school early last year. He has tremendous size for the position and speed out of his breaks. St. Brown is not a finished product by any means, but I like what I saw in his limited action as a rookie.

Brian from Fanwood, NJ

"You don't shift players away from what they do best unless you absolutely have to." Clay Matthews moved inside temporarily, but returned outside for the majority of his time the following seasons. Ty Montgomery moved to RB and has spent his time since then as a running back with Baltimore and now with the Jets (with horrendous new uniforms by the way). What do you think the difference was between Matthews moving back and Montgomery staying at RB?

Matthews was already an All-Pro outside linebacker. Montgomery was seen as an offensive tweener entering the league and already was starting to be groomed as a running back before the injuries to Eddie Lacy and James Starks.