Inbox: We are talking about practice

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
fzesz5uwx3cdpxky9azg

Steven from Ogden, IA

With no fans in Lambeau Field this year, when a wide receiver or running back gets a touchdown, will they be doing the Lambeau Leap?

Not sure. I haven't asked.

Sandy from Green Bay, WI

Mark Murphy has assured us that the Packers will be fine financially despite a football season adjusted due to COVID. Are you aware of any NFL teams that may not be on as stable a financial ground and who may experience problems due to a decrease in revenue this coming football season? Would you anticipate owners/teams trying to make back lost revenue by increasing already spiraling ticket, concession, etc., prices and placing increased financial hardship on fans attending games?

Not that I'm aware of. Again, broadcast deals account for two-thirds of league revenue. As much as all the extra stuff hurts in the pocketbook, the primary objective is to get these games in, and hope for a safer and more stable climate in 2021. If games aren't played, that's when you might see owners tighten their belts. But we're not there yet.

Dale from Lima, NY

If you could change the shape of the footballs used by the NFL – clearly this sheltering at home thing is beginning to take its toll on me – from what it is now to anything else, what shape would you pick? A donut? A cube? A starfish? A boomerang? Something else?

A circle would be fun. Personally, I'd love to watch an NFL game played with a Nerf ball – like the one John Elway and Brett Favre could throw 150 yards.

Geoffrey from Rosemount, MN

I personally am glad to see the Big 12's push to play football this fall. With some conferences committed to playing and some committing to sitting out this season, will this have an impact on recruiting decisions for the top athletes coming out of high school in 2021?

It's definitely going to impact recruiting. The question is which way does it sway top high school players? Because only a small percentage of those players are going to suit up next year.

Michael from Chanhassen, MN

Hi Mike and Wes, regarding no college fall football, they are saying that it could be moved to spring. Spring football would be better than no football for fans, senior players, etc. I have to believe with the vaccines (Russia aside) that are now on track for end-of-year distribution, it should give the Big Ten and NCAA more confidence going forward to playing meaningful games. A shorter season yes, but football nonetheless. Thoughts? Thanks for being there each weekday.

Sure, but we were saying the same stuff five months ago in looking forward to the fall. Our country needed to see tangible improvement for this to be anything more than just kicking a can down the road. You can believe whatever you want to believe – and trust me I've read all of your thoughts over the past 24 hours – but nothing changes unless we get consumer confidence back and people feel safe being in public spaces again. If college football does get a spring season in, it still would need to play a shortened season for business to get back to usual by August.