Inbox: Who saw that one coming?

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
quchl5mp5wgzrazpr6lq

Keith from Fishers, IN

I was at the first preseason game in 2018; it was interesting to watch the QBs. I saw Brett Hundley not see open receivers, misfire on passes to receivers he saw, and receivers have to work too hard to catch inaccurate completed passes. I remember thinking I was seeing the beginning of the end of Hundley's Pack career, which turned out to be right. But Tim Boyle showed strong potential (he's not AR, but no one on the planet is). Do you think Boyle has NFL starting talent; have you seen enough to judge?

Boyle passes the eye test. He has the requisite size, intelligence and arm talent for the position. More importantly, all Boyle has done over the past three years is play well whenever given the opportunity. Boyle has shown he's much better than his college numbers suggest. I don't know when Boyle will get a chance to prove he can start for an NFL team but he deserves a look just like Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks, Doug Pederson, Ty Detmer and Matt Flynn before him. He's earned that.

Gary from Wildwood, MO

Hi Wes, thanks for the daily read. For games at Lambeau Field, who makes the overnight accommodations for the visiting teams? Do the Packers book the rooms, or is it up to each team to make their own arrangements? Just wondering, because it seems that the visitors always stay in the same hotel in Appleton.

Every team arranges their own travel. Director of Football Logistics/Team Travel Matt Klein handles that for the Packers. The reason the opposing team often stays in Appleton is because the Radisson Paper Valley has the rooms and event space to accommodate a large NFL team. They've also expanded as the NFL has expanded and there just aren't many large hotels in the region that can handle it.

Tony from Cary, NC

What would keep the Packers from putting the franchise tag on Aaron Jones and then trading him for a first- or second-rounder? This would give the Packers a higher draft pick than they would get in a compensatory pick. It would also give the other team exclusive rights to work out a long-term deal with Jones and not get into a bidding war.

The last two times the Packers used the tag it was to either trade that player (Corey Williams to Cleveland for a second-rounder in 2008) or buy time to agree on an extension (Ryan Pickett in 2010). Again, I'm making no predictions on what the Packers will do but certainly the franchise tag gives a team options.

Jacob from West Allis, WI

If you had a time machine that allowed you to go back and experience one season of Packers football what year would you choose and why?

1942. I'd love to see how discombobulated defenders were at the sight of Cecil Isbell and Don Hutson throwing the ball against their defense at will.

Dar from Mansfield, TX

From what I've read, it seems the Joe Barry-driven version of the Staley-Fangio defense could emphasize five-man fronts (three DL and two OLB), with only one traditional linebacker and five DBS (with the safeties usually two-deep). In your opinion, does this heighten the need to beef up the defensive line this offseason? Or lessen the need at any positions? The Pack's current, versatile safeties might really shine in this new defense.

From what I can tell having watched Fangio's defenses for the last decade, there's no hard-and-fast rule for personnel. Fangio had some elite inside linebackers and defensive lines at his disposal in Chicago and San Francisco, and developed his defense accordingly. Barry inherits a good foundation up front in Green Bay so those cards could be in play for the Packers. I'm champing at the bit to hear from Barry on what his plans are for this unit.

Ted from Amherst, NY

Wes, you mentioned players only get one shot at a life changing contact. Fans get awed by multimillion-dollar contracts, but people making millions also pay high taxes. How much can a mid-to-late round player (who doesn't get a second contract) expect to save over the course of a rookie contract? If you use the rule of thumb, they can live on 4% of that a year, plus their NFL pension, what kind of financial future can they expect? What kind of help do they get planning that?

The NFL, NFLPA and Packers have resources in place for players to prepare for life after football. Director of player engagement Grey Ruegamer leads those efforts in Green Bay, serving as an advisor on everything from career-planning to finding housing in the area after a rookie makes the team. As far as what player's take-home pay looks like, your guess is as good as mine. I'm not anywhere close to that tax bracket.

Mike from New Orleans, LA

Good morning Wes! Regarding the list Matt from Clarkston, MI, provided yesterday, in your opinion, should a player's statistics while playing on another team play a role in having the Packers retire said number? Obvious hypothetical to prove a point coming: If Tom Brady came to the Pack for one season and won a Super Bowl, I wouldn't expect his number to be retired.

No, I would think some longevity needs to be attained for that type of honor to be achieved. It's hard even with Julius Peppers, for example. He played for so long in Carolina and had his best years there. Likewise, I wouldn't expect the Buccaneers to retire Brady's number unless he plays there for six more years and wins another Super Bowl or two.