Inbox: You don’t hear that type of praise every day

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ci6zmih4xwccrsdcday6

Alyssa from Clinton, IA

Often people say the comeback is greater than the setback. What kind of season do you think Aaron Rodgers will have based off of what you know about this year’s team so far, barring any significant changes?

A big one.

Gary from Sheboygan, WI

Rodgers is learning the new offense. You think that there may be a time sometime in the huddle this year where Rodgers will look at Adams and everyone else and say let’s try "play X" from last year?

No, I don’t. Not unless it’s something that has been adapted to the new menu of plays the Packers have installed and repped in practice. Rodgers will still have the freedom to change plays at the line of scrimmage, but not to that degree.

Eric from Honolulu, HI

Who has the best chance to emerge as the Packers’ No. 3 receiver?

Marquez Valdes-Scantling probably has the inside track after how much he played last season, but everyone is back to square one for the most part. I’d say MVS, the other two second-year receivers, Jake Kumerow and Trevor Davis all have an equal shot at it for the moment. That No. 3 receiver job is completely up for grabs.

Michael from Cashton, WI

I loved the story on Savage but what really caught my attention was Tramon Williams' offseason study habits. Wow! Any insight on his interest in coaching once his playing days are over? Also, the work you guys do on Packers.com is marvelous. Thanks for the insight you all bring to my enjoyment of our Packers and of football generally.

Michael, you’re a Mensch. It’s good to know someone appreciates it. I wrote last year about how meticulous Tramon is about his training, but he’s equally diligent about his mental preparation. You almost have to be in order to play that position at 36 years young. I honestly don’t know what Tramon has planned for after his career is over, but he’s going to be successful in whatever field he pursues because nobody will outwork him.

Karen from Kaukauna, WI and John from Casablanca, Morocco

Is the newly drafted TE still unsigned? If so, is he at OTAs and participating?

You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill with these Jace Sternberger questions. No, he’s not signed yet. Yes, he’s at OTAs and practicing. It’s going to get done. I promise.

Lori from Brookfield, WI

Wes, in your article on Darnell Savage, Adrian Amos said Savage "plays very rangy in the back end.” What does that mean?

It’s code for he covers a lot of ground. That can be a result of many things such as pure speed or simply putting himself in the right spots. It’s jargon for he’s rarely out of position to make a play on the ball.

Derek from Eau Claire, WI

A lot of talk about the Packers improving overall team speed. Assuming all teams are trying to do the same, did the Packers do it more than the other teams?

Just look at the 40 times of the players the Packers have drafted the past two years. You tell me.

Philipp from Fayetteville, GA

As I was catching up on the locker room interviews, I was wondering how the players for that day are scheduled. Are there multiple players made available at one time or are they spaced out so reporters could attend all available players that day?

If you’re referring to Tuesday’s OTA availability, the only player scheduled to speak was Aaron Rodgers. The rest was catch as catch can. A few veterans fall into a pattern during the regular season (Davante Adams on Wednesdays, Clay Matthews on Thursdays and Mike Daniels on Fridays in the past), but you can pretty much grab anyone at any time assuming they’re in the locker room.

Bob from Lexington, SC

I remember in McCarthy's early years at GB, he would have three FBs, and was known for loving to use TEs. Sometimes, I think he had more TEs in a play than WRs. Now we hear that the team will give more importance to TEs than in the past. What do you think happened to MM's use of TEs and FBs?

It wasn’t just McCarthy. The game you’re describing doesn’t exist anymore. At least, not at this moment. It’s a spread game now with receivers attacking every level of the defense.

Dana from Eau Claire, WI

Glad you hear ARod is talking about the offensive line and the depth. I really believe they may be the difference between a good and great season – keeping QB1 upright and healthy. Who do you see backing up LT?

It’s Alex Light at the moment. It’s hard to speculate beyond that. Jason Spriggs, Lane Taylor, Justin McCray, Elgton Jenkins and Billy Turner have all played that before, as well.

Al from Green Bay, WI

The undrafted free agent that made a great first impression is…

Raven Greene. I know he’s a carryover, but that young man put in some serious work this offeason.

Paul from Kansas City, KS

I see KC was awarded the 2023 NFL Draft and that other cities got ’20 and ’21. But nothing announced for ’22. Could it be GB? And on a sidebar, if I am still stuck down here in 2023 and being an empty nester in a gargantuan house 20 minutes from the festivities...the Inbox Insiders have accommodations already reserved for you with your own bathroom! I will provide breakfast and be your Uber. All I ask is if you could bring us some cheese. It sucks down here.

Spoff might take you up on that. You know he has been known to steal lunches before. The NFL hasn’t made anything official about the 2022 draft yet, though NFL Network has a report out saying the league is looking at a “big city.” The Packers are interested in hosting in that year or 2024, but it’s all a waiting game at this point.