Jeff Rodgers Has Cardinals’ Special Teams Flying High

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
xc7ili1ovsvllz9kg4ah

THE REASON WHY SUGGS, JONES DROP INTO COVERAGE

Chandler Jones and Terrell Suggs were dominant rushing the passer against the Lions, but they were also tasked with dropping into coverage at times. That didn’t go as well, which defensive coordinator Vance Joseph acknowledged on Thursday.

Joseph explained why it’s necessary for his outside linebackers to cover at times in his 3-4 defense.

“We can’t get locked in to not dropping those guys, because then the back end has too much stress, and it’s all man (coverage), it’s all fire zone,” Joseph said. “The beauty of the defense is to keep them guessing. Who is going to be the fourth rusher? So we have to drop them, and I drop them both sometimes just to keep the protections fair.

“I do get it. That’s not their strongest skillset. They’re big guys. But we have to do it to keep it all fair. They don’t worry about it. Obviously if a five-yard out is caught on Chandler or Sizzle, I don’t worry about that. That’s just part of the total game plan.”

HAASON REDDICK LOGS ANOTHER FULL PRACTICE

Inside linebacker Haason Reddick (knee) logged a second straight full practice Thursday as he returns to optimum health following knee surgery in the preseason. Reddick rotated snaps with Joe Walker in the opener.

“He should be able to play more on base downs and help us,” Joseph said. “His speed and his tackle ability is something you need on defense, especially with the spread offense.”

Defensive lineman Jonathan Bullard (hamstring) and guard Lamont Gaillard (knee) did not practice.

For the Ravens, cornerback Marlon Humphrey (back) was upgraded to limited participation. Wide receiver Marquise Brown (hip) was also limited, while cornerback Jimmy Smith (knee) did not practice.

Continue reading...