Jerick McKinnon is Optimistic about His Return and the Potential of 49ers Running Backs

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
dgxdm5qjf6dozanrdype

As expected, questions were raised when the San Francisco 49ers signed free agent running back Tevin Coleman. Not only because Coleman adds to an already jam-packed group of speedy running backs. But largely because the 49ers were just a year removed from signing Jerick McKinnon to a lucrative multi-year deal with the intention of becoming a significant piece of Kyle Shanahan’s offensive plan.

McKinnon’s highly-anticipated debut with San Francisco was put on hold due to a torn ACL suffered ahead of the season opener. Instead of showcasing his ability as a starter, McKinnon was forced to spend the past several months rehabbing his surgically-repaired knee. The injury, coupled with the addition of Coleman, had some questioning McKinnon's future in San Francisco. But general manager John Lynch reiterated a few weeks back that the 49ers remain committed to McKinnon heading into 2019.

McKinnon spent the majority of the offseason at the 49ers training facility under the care of San Francisco’s revamped medical training staff led by head of player health & performance Ben Peterson. So far, the 49ers change of personnel has served McKinnon well during his rehab.

“(My knee) feels good,” McKinnon explained to the media on Wednesday. “I feel confident with the strides I’ve made since working with the new medical staff. Every day is a work in progress just getting to that final step.”

The final step is McKinnon’s first regular season game action since 2017. McKinnon revealed he has already began linear running and making cuts so far through the first week of the offseason workout program. Despite his continued progress, McKinnon declined to put a definite timetable on his return. However, he does believe that joining the team at the start of training camp is a realistic goal.

“Definitely. But that’s way down the road,” McKinnon said. “I just know when that time comes, I’ll be ready.”