Ka’Dar Hollman continues to be motivated by his past

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
h3nai6b2qxuzsokmjrf5

Hollman wanted to play Division I football, and athletically, there was little question he had the talent to do it. A two-way player at Burlington (N.J.) Township High School, Hollman had 22 catches for 720 yards to go along with 62 tackles, seven breakups and an interception during his senior year.

Unable to draw any college interest, however, Hollman attended Milford Academy prep school in New Berlin, N.Y. He had 26 tackles, six breakups and four interceptions, but still didn’t have the grades to matriculate to college after his first semester.

As all of his classmates and friends shipped out, Hollman had to take a long look in the mirror and keep the faith. He put together highlight tapes of his games and sent them out to every FCS or FBS school he could find an email or address for.

“Just basically knowing who I am, knowing my abilities,” said Hollman of how he stayed motivated. “I always knew what type of player I was, so basically just having self-motivation throughout that whole time, just knowing that I can play at this level and believe in that just guided me through that whole path right there.”

Perseverance eventually guided him to the University of Toledo in 2015. After getting the green light academically, Hollman paid his way through school for the first two years before earning a scholarship as a redshirt sophomore.