KeeSean Johnson Ready To Prove He Measures Up

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
hhovpilx4qkb1migif9b

Johnson only ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash at the combine but Raih brushed that off after seeing him run routes.

“The release, the stem, the top, he runs right through the football,” Raih said. “His play speed is incredibly fast.”

The outside skepticism is not new to Johnson. At Palo Alto High School in California, only three schools – Fresno State, San Jose State and Sacramento State -- offered him a scholarship.

He chose the Bulldogs and quickly proved he belonged. Johnson had 773 receiving yards as a sophomore and eclipsed 1,000 in each of his final two years, including 95 catches for 1,340 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior.

“Not being highly recruited, getting the offers late, that put the chip on my shoulder,” Johnson said. “And then getting to college and doing the things you did, having similar stats to high school, and then seeing what happened (in the draft). But I’m here, and I’m thankful for that. It’s just another step in the road for me, to keep working and make my way back to where my mindset is always going to be.”

Even though Johnson is only a rookie, there is playing time available at outside receiver if he can seize it. And at this point, he is happy to know the focus is on production, not measurables.

Johnson went from an overlooked recruit to a star at Fresno State, and hopes to follow that blueprint with the Cardinals.

“It’s starting all over again,” Johnson said. “This is the start of something new, and I’m ready to take the challenge on. I’ve never bowed down to anything.”

Continue reading...