Kliff Kingsbury Will Give Players "Cell Phone Breaks" In Meetings

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
cugz4k4dzzhj1tqlmz25

Kliff Kingsbury believes he’ll have to make some adjustments coaching in the NFL compared to what he did in college, but other things he figures to keep the same.

One of those will be what the Cardinals coach termed “cell phone breaks,” in an effort to slice up what can be long, tedious meetings into 20- or 30-minute chunks so that the players can remained locked in to all the information that must be absorbed.

“I think coming from the college ranks, to obviously, those young men, it’s gotta be quick hitters, 20 minutes at a time, give them a break and get them back in,” Kingsbury said. “We want to make sure that when we have them, they’re focused and they’re locked in, and we’re maximizing their time. So, if we’ve got to split it up or have shorter meetings, that’s what we do.”

Kingsbury referenced the phone because, like society at large, the locker room often has guys wanting to check their phones for various reasons. For the players that Kingsbury is about to begin coaching when voluntary strength and conditioning work begins April 8, taking a break makes sense.

“I’ve had coaches that have given breaks,” running back D.J. Foster said. “What guys do with that break is on them. Whether it’s go to the bathroom or be on your cell phone, I mean, everyone is a grown man around here.

“Every coach has their own style, and it’s on the players to adapt. Whether it is the head coach or the coordinator or your position coach, everyone runs their meeting differently.”

Kingsbury did say social media plays a role.

Continue reading...