Larry Fitzgerald Encourages NFL Owners To Help Mentor Players

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
ar7u8f3uxp9y9kjmuhlt

Over the years, Larry Fitzgerald was always a player to reach out to veterans across the league, to pick their brains about how they played the game in an effort to improve himself.

As the Cardinals’ wide receiver has gotten older, he’s understood that the work to improve – whether it was himself or other players – stretches beyond the game.

“Guys around the league reach out to me, and I try to help the best I can, answer any questions they might have,” Fitzgerald said Monday during the NFL owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore. “It’s important to try and give a helping hand.

“I’m excited just with the development of the guys on my team. Christian Kirk, we signed Kevin White, guys I have talked to over the years. (Mentoring) gives me a sense of purpose, moreso than just running routes and catching footballs.”

Fitzgerald delivered that message to ownership Monday morning at the meeting’s outset, emphasizing to owners – and organizations – that getting involved and engaged in players’ lives can help players immensely.

During his talk to ownership, Fitzgerald acknowledged that as a young player, he had been “entitled,” “full of himself” and “at times, arrogant.” He contrasted that to the man who was named co-NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year (with Eli Manning) for the 2016 season.

“(Teams) can take a keen interest and seeing what their interests are, seeing how they can help,” Fitzgerald said during a later press conference. “Seeing if they can change the statistics, of guys when they are retired, in terms of having productive lives.”

Continue reading...