Looking back at Bears-Saints Nov. 1 meeting

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
qdmtjrdch0brsc55kuoj

(4) Foles played well in a losing effort.

The veteran quarterback completed 28 of 41 passes for 272 yards—his second highest yardage total of the season—with two touchdowns, one interception and a 92.7 passer rating. In the second quarter, Foles rainbowed a 50-yard completion to rookie Darnell Mooney and then threw a 24-yard touchdown pass to a diving Allen Robinson II two plays later. Foles later drew the Bears to within 23-20 on a 3-yard TD strike to Mooney with 3:32 left in regulation. Foles' biggest mistake of the game came in the third quarter when he threw a pass off his back foot that was intercepted by cornerback Marshon Lattimore at the Bears' 39. The Saints converted the turnover into Lutz's 39-yard field goal, taking a 16-13 lead.

Foles was backed up by Mitchell Trubisky, who suffered a left-shoulder injury on his only snap of the game, a 3-yard run. He sat out the next two games before being reinstalled as the starting quarterback during the bye week.

(5) Bears receiver Javon Wims was ejected for throwing two punches.

Wims was booted out of the contest and suspended without pay for two games by the NFL for punching Saints cornerback C.J. Gardner-Johnson twice after a third-quarter play. Wims was also assessed a 15-yard penalty, turning a second-and-5 situation into second-and-20, and Foles was intercepted on the next play. Nagy was angered by Wims' actions, describing them immediately after the game as "completely unacceptable" and saying "that's not how we roll here."

After the Saints game, Nagy accepted blame for the Bears leading the NFL with 58 penalties. "Until it gets changed," he said, "I have to be able to accept responsibility for it and I have to be able to focus on the 'why' part, and I have to hold myself and the coaching staff accountable because we're the ones that basically are the conduits to the players and how they're acting on gameday. Until it stops, I've got to take full responsibility for it."

It did stop. And Nagy deserves a lot of credit for rectifying the problem. After leading the NFL with 58 penalties while drawing at least 46 penalty yards in each of their first eight games, the Bears were assessed the fewest penalties (30) over their final eight contests while drawing fewer than 46 penalty yards in each game.