Lunchbreak: Brandt Tabs Vikings Most Likely to Dethrone Bears

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
jhftxqufwruo9nvw4ttl

Minnesota native, former NFL tackle weighs in on Kubiak-Dennison team

Ryan Harris grew up a Vikings fan, and now the former NFL tackle – and Cretin-Derham Hall standout – is weighing in on two of Minnesota’s new coaches, Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Advisor Gary Kubiak and offensive line coach/run game coordinator Rick Dennison.

Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press explained that Harris played three seasons for Kubiak in Houston and Denver, including helping the Broncos to a Super Bowl 50 win to cap the 2015 campaign. Tomasson wrote:

Kubiak, now assistant head coach/offensive adviser for the Vikings, dispensed advice to Harris that had more to do with just football. Harris uses it now as a radio broadcaster, when giving speaking engagements around the country and at his home in suburban Denver.

Harris grew up a big Vikings fan and hoped to play for them one day. That didn’t happen, but now he can follow two of his favorite coaches with the Vikings.

Harris played six seasons in Denver and Houston with Rick Dennison as his offensive coordinator or offensive line coach.

“Both are great coaches,” Harris told Tomasson. “I had great success with both and consider both to this day people I could call on if I need anything. … Any time you can surround your team with championship-level knowledge of the game of football and how to manage players and put them in position to win, you’re going to do it.”

Harris thinks Kubiak will help improve a team that ranked 20th in the NFL in total offense last season. He doesn’t believe there will be any friction with [Offensive Coordinator] Kevin Stefanski.

“In my experience with leadership, people are either ‘who’ or ‘what’ people,” Harris told Tomasson. “I know from working with Gary Kubiak, he is a ‘what’ guy. He could care less about who gets the credit.”

Harris also expects the Vikings to improve the offensive line with Dennison.

“Rico’s an analytics guy,” Harris said. “He really demands a lot from his players, and he’s very vocal in practice. Excuses aren’t a part of his makeup.”