Lunchbreak: The Athletic Analyzes Vikings TEs After Rudolph's Departure

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
wbhxdbrh1nby1gvzkdva

Smith is entering his third season, and it's worth remembering that he was the youngest player drafted in the first two days in 2019. He won't turn 23 until training camp. Smith hasn't yet eclipsed 400 receiving yards in either of his first two seasons but has shown flashes that inspire confidence within the coaching staff. The Vikings feel he's ready for a bigger role, one that involves him being on the field virtually every play.

Conklin sits behind Smith on the new depth chart. He put together a productive four games at the end of the season with a bigger role following Rudolph's injury [in the final month of the season]. Since the Vikings often play with two tight ends on the field at the same time, Conklin is now basically a starter in this offense. He caught 19 passes for 194 yards and a touchdown last season. It wouldn't surprise me if the Vikings brought in a depth free agent later this month at the position or potentially used a Day 3 draft pick on a tight end.

Smith had 30 catches for 365 yards and five scores in his second season in the NFL in 2020. Conklin's totals exceeded his combined stats in limited duty from 2018-19 when he totaled 13 receptions for 135 yards.

Hasan said he has lofty expectations for Smith, who was the 50th overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Knowing that tight ends typically break out in Year 3, I'd expect the Vikings to give him the kind of snap load that would see a good tight end earn upwards of 500 yards and six or so touchdowns. His additional capability as an H-back as well as a motion man on jet sweeps or an arc-blocker on split zones make him valuable enough to put on the field in any situation, so we should be seeing quite a bit of him.

The real question is whether the Vikings will invest in a third receiver or a third tight end — because the answer to that question will also tell us if they'll be changing their approach to offensive personnel with more three-receiver sets. If so, we might want to pump the brakes on Conklin, whose average of 30 yards per game in Rudolph's absence was impressive but not definitive. If I had to guess, I'd say the Vikings stick with what they think works and invest in another tight end to give themselves the luxury to play Conklin fairly often in two-tight end sets.

Minnesota also has Hale Hentges and Brandon Dillon available at the tight end spot.