Matt Rhule sees elite traits in CB Eli Apple

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
nu4ybf90wd9w33rabz8k

Rhule hopes that based on Apple's age — he's still just 24 — and traits, the cornerback's best football could be ahead of him.

"I think his talent and, hopefully, his approach will match well with the way we do things and the way that we want to play," Rhule said. "If it works out, I think between he and Donte Jackson and the rest of the guys we drafted and the rest of the guys we have on the roster, that could be a strength for us."

In evaluating Apple, Rhule said he and secondary assistant coaches Jason Simmons and Evan Cooper focused more on the cornerback's skills and how they could translate to the Panthers' defense.

"I don't like to judge people based upon their experiences in other systems with other people," Rhule said. "I love to see what they do for us — if, if, if — I think they have the traits that we need. That's probably the college coach in me feeling like when you recruit, you recruit certain traits and you try to develop them.

"I think when you get players who are 23, 24, 25 — they're still in that stage. Their best football is hopefully ahead of them. When you get to like, 29, 30, 31, they are what they've put on tape. I think these younger guys, we can help them play their best football."