McCardell Aiming to Help Elevate Thielen, Jefferson Even More

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
jyenau7alfqzqvigk8aq

Thielen is a two-time Pro Bowler who had a career-best 14 touchdowns in 2020. He's also recorded at least 925 yards in the past four seasons he's been healthy, falling shy of that mark during an injury-altered 2019.

"The fact that Adam is a guy that's continued to play at a high level, I just want him to, each and every year, from here on out, just keep reinventing yourself, because I've been in that situation," McCardell said. "I played 17 years, I've been where he's at — people starting to say, 'Is he getting a little old? Getting a little long in the tooth?' or something like that. You've just got to keep reinventing yourself and keep showing up.

"And how that happens, you go out and work every day, and you outwork the guy next to you," McCardell added. "You outwork the young guy, and make the young guy come up to your level of work. If Adam continues to do that, which I already know he will, it's going to continue to get better."

That young guy would be Jefferson, whose stock is on the rise after a historic rookie season. He broke a Vikings rookie record with 88 catches and a Super Bowl-era record with 1,400 yards. Jefferson caught seven scores.

McCardell said he initially connected with Jefferson at the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine and tracked his stellar rookie season from afar.