Mennenga on kicker: 'Mason's our guy'

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
efftn1auormtojvxgo7y

On being ready with few preseason snaps from starters:

I feel good about where we are because we did so much competitive this year against our offense. We did very little opponent prep in the preseason. We went good against good for the bulk of the days in practice, and we’re still doing that. We went against an offense we feel is going to be pretty good, and I’m sure they feel the same on the other side of the ball.

On whether getting more turnovers can continue:

I think so, because I think it’s a result of our practice habits. It’s across the board. You get what you emphasize. We realized coming out of last year we didn’t emphasize it enough. When you break down the statistics and all the stats that are available and out there, outside of the final score, it’s takeaways that are the biggest determining factor. That’s something we made a big investment in, in a lot of different ways. We stress it every day. We have gotten the results in practice and the preseason games, and we hope it’s going to carry over. We believe we’ve created good habits, and we hope it’s ingrained.

On coaching from the sidelines:

I’m glad I did it and not looking back. There’s been no thought, not even for a second, about going back up. I think the sideline process we worked out in the four preseason games, we feel really good about. How we handle the players coming off the field, the substitutions were cleaner, the communication … and they know not to take anything personal if I say something not so nice.

Offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett

He’s come along really well. He’s been consistent and done a lot of good things. He practices like a professional, works like a professional. Those are all great attributes.

Don’t look back, don’t blink. You want to have a short-term memory but you always want to learn from something that’s happened. He’s got a pretty strong arm, when he’s able to set his feet, it’s pretty good.

On preparing for Week 1:

You like to act like you know what they’re going to do, but in the end you have to be ready for anything and everything. They could do the same stuff they’ve done, or they might have thought of something completely different. I think that goes anytime you’re playing a first game or a coordinator who’s been out for a while.

It feels like we’ve been watching everything, trying to find anything that might happen, and it can actually mess with your mind a little bit. It’s about us. It’s about us, understanding our rules and what we’re asking our guys to do, and understanding our rules are what’s going to save them. You go as far back as you have to and get the guys feeling as comfortable as we do.