Mike's Mid-Week Chat: How will the bye help the Packers?

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
adnrkyr54oovcio0pd5q

Allen Lazard opened a lot, if only Rodgers could hold the ball a little longer. Lazard might becomes the #2 receiver sooner than people think.

It will be very interesting to see how the WR snaps are divided up after the bye and the coaches go over everything. Lazard is a decent blocker, too, so that bodes well for him.

Mike, I noticed in a photo of Aaron Rodgers on the practice field a referee was standing in the background. Are the Packers practice referees active or retired referees or coaches?

The latter.

When 'Packer Alumni' come back to GB, who gets you excited to see?

I don't get to see them all when they come back, but anyone I covered for several years and did a one-on-one interview with a time or two, it's always fun to catch up.

Mike, Thanks for the chat. You think we’re serious about D line help or just kicking the tires as usual?

The Packers are always doing their due diligence.

If Rodgers hadn't caught the ref's flag cleanly would it still have been a penalty?

Ha, good one. Not sure I've seen a player catch a flag while flat on his back before. That was a fortunate call, but even Rodgers said after the game, the ledger isn't entirely evened out. A guy who plays QB for a decade-plus is probably always going to feel that way.

What position group is going to benefit most from the bye week?

The secondary. I think the break will help King, Amos and Alexander all get past the stuff they've been dealing with.

The Packers will have a tough task ahead of them against the 49ers. The past two weeks, the Packers have let so many open receivers in the middle of the field. For example everytime Philip Rivers dropped back there was an open man, and DJ Moore was wide open everyother play. What can the Packers D do to not let Jimmy G pick us apart?

It starts with containing the run vs. the 49ers. If Jimmy G doesn't need to throw the ball, Shanahan won't. He loves to run, with all three of those backs, and they do it very well.

What do you think the record in the NFC will need to be for securing the 1 or 2 seed and a bye?

At this point, it's hard to see getting a bye with a record worse than 13-3. Maybe because the top teams are playing each other so much down the stretch, 12-4 might get the 2 seed, but that's as far as I'd go.

Mike, I have been trying to do my own version of self scouting the packers defense. The conclusion I have come to is we would be better playing more man concepts than zone. I feel like our corners are much better at press man and aggression than playing off and covering areas. Maybe play man in between the 20s and go zone in the redzone which has been working. Thoughts?

After studying it all this week, whatever the coaches feel works best is what they're going to lean toward, but you never play one thing in the same situation all the time. And plans are opponent-specific as well, depending on the receivers, the QB's mobility, etc.

Hey Mike, since it's bye week, how about entertaining some off-the-wall ideas. Wouldn't want to load him up with too much, but how about giving Gary some reps at ILB? His combine numbers show he was bit off Matthews in the agility drills, but a bit better in speed, vertical, etc. Might be a way to get him on the field and add a solid body to the run defense

People are suggesting all kinds of things regarding players changing positions. I think a little realism is in order. These types of changes are not easy on the players. It wasn't easy for Matthews back in '14, but he was the special kind of player who could make it work. Not everyone can be looked at the same way.

Does the later start (730 vs 330) help the Packers at all when adjusting to the time change? Does it hurt them the following week?

I think it makes the road trip the following week to the other coast (Giants) a much tougher game immediately. The charter plane won't get back from SF until around 5 a.m. after a night game. Yes, the Packers will have just had their bye, but you can't go full-bore in practice right away on Wednesday when players (and website writers) need Monday just to get some sleep. The prep schedule will be a challenge coming off the night game.

Bak hasn't been playing top notch this season compared to other seasons.. I have a feeling the bye might help him out and he will be perfect the rest of the year.

Nobody is going to be perfect, but if anyone could use a mental reset, it may be Bakhtiari. He's been so steady for so long that I firmly believe he'll get back to that eventually.

Mike, if you just look at the stats the 49ers blow us away, especially on defense. But when you look at the opponents the 49ers have played to get those stats…I like our chances. (Plus, Rodgers > Garoppolo)

That's why they play the games. It's a week-to-week league. Any more cliches I can throw out there?

Mike, who is a player that has not had a lot of opportunities so far that you think will come on after the bye and make a significant impact.

I'm curious about a lot of guys. I already mentioned Lazard on offense and Campbell on defense. Also, Montravius Adams and Kingsley Keke on the defensive line could see more snaps, maybe Josh Jackson in the secondary. I guess we'll see.

Can the Packer coaches use part of the bye week to get a jump on planning for the Giants?

Oh sure, the coaches can always find the time. I'm talking about the challenge of the physical prep for the Giants after getting back so late after a West Coast night game. There's a balance between getting your bodies back and getting ready to play that'll have to be found.

Hi Mike, thank you for your time! Do the coaches get extra time away this week or is there too much to do for the mid-season progress report/across the halls before the 49ers?

LaFleur said the early part of the week would be used for the film review and study sessions, but then the coaches get a long weekend to get away as well.

Are the helmets behind you in Packers Unscripted in any sort of order?

Not really, other than the location of the Packers helmet.