Mike McGlinchey Expects Offseason Adjustments to Pay Dividends in 2019

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
smqohzosuwy0h4onebzl

McGlinchey admitted to getting behind on his footwork towards the end of 2018. He’s spent the offseason concentrating on consistency, grasping the offense and bulking up. He’s added 15 pounds since the end of last season and is already starting to feel the benefits of his added strength at the start of OTAs.

Another benefit, or pair of benefits, to add to McGlinchey’s growth this offseason is the 49ers additions of Nick Bosa and Dee Ford. McGlinchey will have the opportunity to protect the edge in practice against those two talented pass rushers.

Ford racked up 13 sacks in 2018. He’s also known for having one of the quickest first steps off the line of scrimmage. That provides a welcomed challenge for McGlinchey.

"Dee’s everything that he's advertised, man. He’s in the elite class with his get off and his ability to get into people and take control of blocks," McGlinchey said. "He’s just quicker, and he’s strong as well. If the timing’s off, normally I’m hitting on the second step just a little bit later, and I’m still in control of the block. With Dee, you’ve got to be as fast as humanly possible because he’s that good at getting into you.

“I’m excited to get to work with him. It’s only going to make me better (and) the rest of our tackles better. He’s going to be special for us this year and I’m certainly glad he’s on our side now."