Mile High Morning: Melvin Gordon explains why Broncos' system is 'a great fit'

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
aybkta8vkcnmfdfrg7op

The Lead

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — As a two-time Pro Bowler, Melvin Gordon III has enjoyed a highly successful start to his still young NFL career.

After signing with Denver this offseason, though, Gordon thinks he may be headed to a an offensive system that fits him better than the Chargers' attack.

In an interview with NFL Network's Ian Rapaport, Gordon said Denver "runs my style of football."

"I think it's a great system for backs to really be the guy and go out there," Gordon said. "They run a lot of inside zone and that's what I did a lot at Wisconsin. … It's just going to really help me get back [to] what I do best. I'm an inside zone runner. When I came to the Chargers, I did a lot of stuff out of the gun. I struggled with it. You have to be so detailed with everything. Obviously, they helped make me a better player just all around — as far as the passing game and everything, but it really didn't play up to my strengths. Especially the first couple years, I just had to adjust and make work. It kind of wasn't a system built for me. Denver kind of runs my style of football and I think it's a great fit."

Gordon's style of football over the years has involved finding the end zone. He's the only player in the NFL to rush for at least eight touchdowns in each of the last four seasons, and he did so despite missing four games last year.

When free agency rolled around, Denver couldn't help but add his type of talent.

"To be honest, I didn't think they were looking for a running back either," Gordon said. "It just kind of fell and that's just kind of how it happened."

Gordon now joins Phillip Lindsay in the backfield. The two met at the 2018 Pro Bowl and should both play a big role for the Broncos.

"I spoke to Phillip a couple times," Gordon said. "I went to the Pro Bowl, we met there. We chopped it up. ... I feel like we could be a good duo. It's hard to really see how things are going to play out, how they're going to use us. I'm not sure, to be honest. I'm really eager to find out."

For more from Rapoport's interview, click here.