Minnesota Vikings Podcast Episode 54 Highlights: Running Back Mike Boone On Taking Advantage of Opportunities

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ozkcdxge8fwjqyahmvmn

Whenever he's been given any sort of opportunity in the Vikings offense, running back Mike Boone has answered the call.

As an undrafted free agent out of the University of Cincinnati in 2018, Boone made a statement during his first preseason, finishing fourth in the league with 195 rushing yards and adding 88 receiving yards.

Boone almost mimicked his 2018 preseason performance during last year's preseason when he rushed for another 196 rushing yards.

On the heels of stepping into a bigger role at the end of 2019, Boone joined the Minnesota Vikings Podcast to discuss his outlook entering his third season in Purple.

"I reflect on this journey a lot," Boone said. "Going into Year 3, it's a blessing. That just goes to show the details, the film work and the offensive line. I can't forget about those guys and put it all on me. Every chance my number is called, I just try to be there and help out however I can."

Boone played on special teams and sparingly on offense early in 2019 but was ready to go when Dalvin Cook went down with an injury during Week 15's matchup in Los Angeles against the Chargers.

"That's just being prepared," Boone said. "I have to give a lot of props to Coach Kennedy Polamalu. He prepares every one of us to be ready for a situation like that. That's kind of our routine, to prepare like you are that starter."

Boone rushed 13 times for 56 yards and two touchdowns in the 39–10 win, amassing his first career scores.

Boone started the final two weeks of the season against Green Bay and Chicago with Cook and Alexander Mattison inactive.