Notebook: Browning Enjoys Being Back in Purple; Watts Signs Deal

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
jycsrn166mmw4v8zdy1i

EAGAN, Minn. — Jake Browning felt right at home on the practice field Friday morning at Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center.

He was back under center and in the huddle, getting his first taste of the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Vikings.

Of course, the helmet color probably helped the former University of Washington quarterback on Day 1 of rookie minicamp.

“It felt good to be back in purple, so that was kind of nice,” Browning said. “Other than that, just trying to lock in, to make sure I get the play calls right in the huddle so everybody does the right thing, and then going through my reads.

“There’s a lot of stuff going on, and that’s kind of my main focus because that’s what it takes to be successful – you’ve got to know everything and get everybody on the same page and then execute,” Browning added.

Browning is now one of a handful of quarterbacks on Minnesota’s roster along with Kirk Cousins, Sean Mannion and Kyle Sloter. Former Western Illinois quarterback Sean McGuire is also in town on a rookie tryout basis this weekend.

Yet as the quarterback group goes through spring practices and training camp over the next few months, the Vikings are excited to see what Browning can bring to the table.

Browning started 54 games for the Huskies in college, winning 39 of them to set a Pac-12 record. He also threw school records for career passing yards (12,296), career touchdown passes (94) and career completions with 958.

Yet for all of his gaudy stats, including tying Jared Goff’s conference record for touchdown passes in a season with 43 in 2016, Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer said Friday that he’s interested in seeing the whole package with Browning.

“The guy won a lot of games; he’s a very good athlete. We felt like he’s got a lot of upside to work with, a lot of tools,” Zimmer said. “But we thought he was a good athlete, and he won a lot of games, so that was important to us.

“I think all these guys [behind Cousins] are going to have to come in here and compete and kind of figure it out. I think his athleticism probably will show above some of these other [quarterbacks],” Zimmer added. “The scrambling ability, we haven’t seen him throw too much, so obviously he’s going to have to be accurate. That’s always a key to the quarterbacks.”

Browning said Friday that he wasn’t concerned with the fact that he wasn’t drafted and had to sign with a team after 254 players were selected.

Instead, he’s focused on making the most of his opportunity with his new team in Purple.

“Obviously I wanted to be drafted, but like I said, there is where I wanted to be,” Browning said. “I’m fortunate to be here and very grateful to be here.

“I just went through one walk-through as a Viking, and now I’m pretty focused on having a good practice later today,” Browning added. “Keep putting together good back-to-back days, and that’s kind of my goal.”