Packers get back to the ground game

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
cg8ovkehwac3joqz14gb

Big-play Tae: While Adams will continue thinking about the one big play he was unable to make the third quarter off a deep ball from Rodgers, the two-time Pro Bowl receiver had two others that led to eventual touchdowns.

Adams made a brilliant catch down the sideline for a 37-yard pickup in the second quarter before snagging another for 38 yards when Green Bay was facing second-and-26 from its own 9.

Both catches set up eventual Jones touchdown runs. In his second game back from a four-game layoff due to a toe injury, Adams finished with a team-high seven catches for 118 yards.

“I feel great. I wish I could have came down with that deep one,” said Adams, referencing a shot play on first-and-10 that Panthers cornerback Donte Jackson broke up late. “That's going to beat me up just because I know I need to make that. … But other than that it felt good to be able to contribute a little bit and do what I can to help us win.”

A gift for the defense: After signing as free agents last spring, Preston and Za'Darius Smith made a small deal with each other – the first pass rusher to 10 sacks buys a present for the defense.

That honor officially went to Preston, who notched his first season with double-digit sacks thanks to a two-sack performance against the Panthers.

His plan for a present? Rolexes for the defense.

“The whole defense. They helped me get there,” Preston said. “I couldn’t have gotten it done without the other 10 guys on the defense doing their job. It’s very exciting for me, a career-high, double digits for the first time in my career.”

Pick perfect: Tramon Williams has mainly been playing in the slot this season, which hasn’t necessarily given the veteran cornerback a ton of chances at interceptions.

When the time came Sunday, however, Williams was right where he needed to be when safety Adrian Amos deflected a Kyle Allen pass in the end zone, allowing Williams to secure his first pick since Dec. 10, 2017, when he was playing in Arizona.

The play not only stopped a potential Carolina series midway through the third quarter, but also led to the Green Bay drive that produced Crosby’s field goal.

“It felt great, man. It’s been a while,” said Williams of the INT. “Adrian was in the middle of the field, so Adrian came from one side, and I was bracketing him on the other side. … Obviously, a big-time play at that moment, took points off the board and gave our offense a chance to go down and get into a rhythm.”