Packers go big and athletic on defense in fifth round

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
mn4kmqs8hyhxvnjve850

While Jean-Charles remarked "there's nothing pretty about my game," he is a relentless defender who plays "hard and with a lot of heart." According to Pro Football Focus, Jean-Charles gave up just five completions on 35 targets in single coverage last year.

"A lot of that comes from my preparation," Jean-Charles said. "My football IQ's very high, a testament to a lot of my coaches and mentors that I was around in the offseason, and just being able to understand offenses and understand what I'll possibly get before it happens. It allows me to play just a little bit faster."

A two-star recruit out of Miramar, Fla., Jean-Charles played inside and outside in the secondary at Appalachian State and everywhere on special teams. He'll happily do it again in the pros.

Athletically, Jean-Charles made some noise at his April 1 pro day when he did 19 bench reps of 225 with a 35-inch vertical.

He's the second cornerback the Packers have drafted this weekend, following first-round pick Eric Stokes, out of Georgia, on Thursday night. The two rookies join a secondary that returns its top five defensive backs from last year's No. 6-rated pass defense.

"At the end of the day, I have athletic ability but, once you grasp that mental aspect of the game, it makes it so much slower and makes it so much easier to go out there and just do what feels natural," Jean-Charles said. "At the end of the day, a lot of repetitions and a lot of things that I was able to display on the field play hand in hand, and I was able to go out there and show the world what I can do."