Patterson Evaluates 2019 Vikings D-Line, Anticipates ‘Tough Decisions’ for Roster

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
houa3leafey9xslmmtyh

Weatherly, a 2016 seventh-round draft pick by Minnesota, also plays a key role in the defensive end rotation.

The 25-year-old started six games last season in place of Griffen and took a big step forward in his development. Patterson wasn’t surprised by the improvement, saying that it’s common for players to gain a new perspective – and confidence – after getting real-live game action and seeing success.

“He knows he’s a good enough player where he can start on a lot of different teams in this league,” Patterson said. “Coach Zim’ is going to do a great job of having a role for Stephen to go out and play. We’re real fortunate to have three defensive ends in our system in Everson, Danielle and Stephen Weatherly.”

On the interior of the line, Joseph did not participate in team drills during the Vikings voluntary Organized Team Activity practices or minicamp but did take part in individual periods, and Patterson said he’s looking forward to getting Joseph back for training camp.

Starting beside Joseph will likely be Stephen, who is back in the Vikings locker room.

Stephen spent his first four NFL seasons with Minnesota before signing with the Seahawks for the 2018 season and then returning to Purple this spring. And in case anyone doubted the effect he can have on the roster, Patterson wants to set the record straight.

“Vikings fans, Shamar Stephen is the real deal, OK? Those of you that have known me know that I don’t blow smoke,” Patterson said. “This guy is for real, and it’s a great thing we have him back on our football team.”

Patterson emphasized that Shamar’s performance at 3-technique in 2017 was a “big reason” Minnesota’s defense topped the league. He explained that Shamar frees up Joseph and starting linebackers Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks by executing his own assignments so well.

Patterson reminded that box scores don’t tell the whole story.

“At the end of the game, if you just grab the stat sheet and look at tackles and sacks, you’d say, ’93 didn’t play that well.’ But if you go in as a coach and watch what that position is supposed to do, this guy is one of the best in the league at doing his job,” Patterson said. “I am so glad that we have him back. The day he walked back into this building, he made our defense better.”

The Vikings have plenty of competition at backup defensive tackle, starting with Jalyn Holmes and Jaleel Johnson, both of whom are familiar with the defensive system. Johnson, a 2017 draft pick, “worked his tail off” during the offseason and has put on muscle, earning praise from Patterson.

“He’s in tiptop shape and works hard every day,” Patterson said of Johnson. “He’s been getting all the first-team reps at nose since Linval hasn’t been able to practice, and he’s done a good job. I’m expecting him to make a jump and it’s time … it’s Year 3. I think he’s heading in that direction.”

Heading into his second NFL season, Holmes also went from 282 pounds to 300 and has good length and athleticism.