Position change was meant to be for Ty Summers

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yql9bg8njwj58o9q7p3h

GREEN BAY – Ty Summers doesn’t spend a whole lot of time thinking about it.

“It” is what his future might have been had he stuck with the quarterback position. He was a star dual-threat QB in high school in San Antonio who had offers from Rice, Ivy League schools, and the military academies.

Not exactly QB hotbeds, but Harvard’s Ryan Fitzpatrick has carved out a nice NFL career for himself under center, so who knows? But Summers has faith in, well, his faith, and if switching to linebacker and heading to TCU was “all part of a plan,” he wasn’t about to question it.

“I would have played really well in college, and I probably would have had an opportunity, maybe as a free agent kind of thing, just because I would have found a way to be successful,” Summers said of playing quarterback. “I was a gamer. I had fun doing it, and I made plays. But ultimately it wouldn’t have taken me here.”

“Here” is Green Bay as a seventh-round draft pick at inside linebacker with the speed, athleticism and smarts to potentially help turn around the Packers’ special teams in 2019.

Summers won’t get ahead of things or sell himself short, but with Blake Martinez entrenched as a defensive leader, 2018 third-round pick Oren Burks viewed as a player on the rise, and multiple safeties working as hybrid inside linebackers in coordinator Mike Pettine’s defense, he knows realistically that special teams provide him his best chance to make a strong first impression.

“Oh yeah, that’s going to be a staple,” he said. “I’m going to capitalize on that for sure.”

Summers began his college career on all of TCU’s coverage and return units, but he became a starter on defense midway through his redshirt freshman season, so his snaps on special teams diminished from there.