Presser Points: Spielman Discusses Rudolph Decision, Status of Hunter & Cousins

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
ghlcrfoblzqtbo2khebw

"It hurts us, too. … Those are extremely difficult [decisions]," Spielman said. "Those are the nights that you sleep on the couch [and] you stare at the ceiling because you know how torn you are personally from the decision, but you also know you have to also make a business decision on how we can move forward and do some of the things we need to do in other areas to get better. So that's by far the hardest decisions and the hardest part of this job."

The Vikings and the 31 other NFL teams are preparing for the start of the new league year, which falls on March 17 this offseason and will usher in the free agency signings of 2021.

Personnel departments across the league are also plotting their strategies for maximizing their evaluations of players at college pro days, which ramp up next week (we'll have a preview of this process next week).

Spielman said the Vikings have a preliminary plan that has been built in similar fashion to when the combine normally occurs ahead of free agency. The combine for 2021 has been delayed this year and will be medical only, so discussions with players' agents shifted from in-person talks to video conferences or phone calls.

Here are three other topics covered by Spielman during the 27-minute session.

1. Checking in on Danielle Hunter

Defensive end Danielle Hunter is a two-time Pro Bowler who wound up missing all of 2020 with a neck injury. Believed to be something minor before pads went on in camp, the injury required surgery.

Naturally, Hunter's status has been a big talker and was even before the season ended. Spielman was asked if Hunter will return to 100 percent and if he's working on a new contract with Hunter.

"I'm not ever going to talk about business or contracts with anybody. I never have done that. I never will," Spielman said. "I know from all indications from where he's at on his rehab right now — and I saw an Instagram picture of him yesterday, he looked pretty good. But excited to get him here in the fold and get him going once we get started."

Here are two posts by Hunter, one with Jaleel Johnson on his right during a workout, and another during a resistance exercise: