Rookie pass rushers Brian Burns, Christian Miller team up

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
zceuouvyg46q9fxc0vqr

This weekend, Burns is leaning on someone in his same shoes when it comes to learning the ropes.

“Me and Brian have been sticking together,” said Christian Miller, the Panthers’ fourth-round draft pick. “We’re both outside linebackers, and we respect each other’s games. He’s a really good dude.

“We’ve been working together, making sure we’re in good hands. Just trying to help each other out.”

Miller and Burns have much in common.

They both played at traditional college football powerhouses (Miller played at Alabama), and they both have NFL bloodlines. Miller’s father, Corey Miller, was an NFL linebacker for nine seasons; Burns’ brother, Stanley McClover, played defensive end for the Panthers for two years.

Along those same lines – and at least as importantly – they both have linebacker and defensive end in their position designation. So while they both have a lot to learn about the pro game, they’re arguably ahead of the curve as the Panthers transition from their traditional 4-3 defensive look to a more multiple approach.

“It’s nothing I’m not used to; I’ve done it before,” Burns said. “No big deal, but I like what we’re doing.”