So Many Draft Directions Cardinals Can Go At 8

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
kr8oxshaofzf1mwliz08

A trade does make sense, if the Cardinals are as open to their first-round decision as it seems. Moving down a handful of spots to gain a pick is always something that intrigues Keim – the last time the Cards traded down in the first round, they went from 20 to 27 in a swap with the Saints that ultimately became linebacker Deone Bucannon and wide receiver John Brown for wide receiver Brandin Cooks.

Keim acknowledged there have been early discussions about potential trades, but it is "really a lot of posturing," he said. "Until a player is on the clock, you really have no clue."

The Cards currently have six draft picks: a first (8th), a third (72nd), two fourths (114th and 131st), a sixth (202nd) and a seventh (222nd).

Beyond round one, all the positions discussed are still in play. Kingsbury said the Cardinals will still be looking for a potential third running back after Kenyan Drake and Chase Edmonds. An offensive lineman at some point makes sense. And yes, a wide receiver, in such a deep draft for them, is possible.

"There are guys that are speed guys, there are big physical guys that can go up and get it in a crowd," Keim said. "It's kind of pick your poison. What are you looking for? You looking for an X, you looking for a Z? You can get them in every round."

Kingsbury already is happy with an upgraded roster even before the draft – something that could come into play with a truncated or eliminated offseason because of COVID-19. Keim acknowledged there are concerns about getting rookies ready mentally and physically at the start of the regular season.

There will also be the virtual hurdles teams face this week as all the draft personnel for each team is isolated because of the coronavirus.

Once the picks start, however, Keim sees a draft much like any other. The same communication with Kingsbury and owner Michael Bidwill, the same focus on the big picture.

"As I've always said, it's my job that I always see the constant holes in our roster," Keim said. "I don't think there is a position we still can't address in this draft."

Continue reading...