Steelers team reporter Missi Matthews weighs in on Broncos' Week 2 matchup

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
swy19uh0uqzcvb0nfd9w

AD: Devin Bush is probably always going to be tied to the Broncos because of the trade last year. How would you grade his rookie season, and what do you expect this year from him?

MM:
"I think the sky is the limit for Devin Bush. Being a rookie is never an easy thing, being that first-round draft pick when you know the team had to trade up 10 spots to get you. That was a position the Steelers' defense was really missing — some stability. He was a rookie and probably had some great moments, also had some not-so-great moments, because you're learning on the fly, being thrown into the mix. He played so many snaps, was able to keep up, keep his body healthy. I think he will really get more in tune with the playbook in Year 2. Coach Tomlin always talks about the Year 2 jump of wanting to see even more out of guys because you've had the chance to go through it. You know what to expect. Also Minkah Fitzpatrick coming in helps settle the defense, as well. I think that helped Devin a lot, too."

AD: The Steelers ranked fifth in total defense in 2019. Is there a sense this group is going to be just as good in 2020?

MM:
"I think so, and I think there's pressure on them to be even better. Stephon Tuitt was a huge loss. He was also injured after Ben Roethlisberger. When you hear Steelers, you know Ben, but Stephon Tuitt was having a really good season until he got hurt. He's coming back healthy. That's more stability among the defensive line. Of course the Steelers lost Javon Hargrave to the Eagles in free agency. He was definitely a key player. Knowing that Minkah's going to have a full offseason, a full preseason, a full training camp with the Steelers — that also is going to help out as well."

AD: You mentioned a couple of those losses. Which addition — via either free agency or the draft — could have the biggest impact in our Week 2 game next year?

MM:
"I think any rookie's kind of jumping on a moving train unfairly due to the circumstances. I think a lot them have special teams capability. That's what we heard from Steelers management after the draft. Eric Ebron, who the Steelers brought in through free agency, I think he is somebody who Ben is going to love who can really help that offense and maybe he's a guy that can help take pressure off JuJu Smith-Schuster, as well."

AD: What's the mood in Pittsburgh about the team's ability to make a run back to the playoffs with a healthy Roethlisberger?

MM:
"It was two straight years of not making the playoffs, which is very atypical in Pittsburgh for sure. There's obviously excitement because you figure the rest of Ben's body — yes, he had to undergo surgery, and he's rehabbing and he's working hard — but his legs are going to be fresh. His body didn't take as many physical hits and things that he typically endures during the season. I definitely think there's excitement. It's crazy to say, but when the Steelers traded for Minkah Fitzpatrick, it wasn't a popular move. It was like, 'Are you kidding me? You just lost your starting quarterback. That first-round draft pick could be really high. You're trading it away?' I think Minkah quickly proved [his value]. He came in and played. His first game, i just remember his first interception, and that's when everyone was like, 'Oh, wow. OK. Maybe this isn't so bad.' That first-round draft pick that we traded for Minkah to the Dolphins was No. 18. It's not like it was a top-10 pick. I think there's excitement that the defense is going to continue to grow. And anytime that you get your franchise quarterback back, there's definitely excitement with that, as well."