The Cardinals’ Plan For Pass Catchers Starting To Form

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
lhyxvobdyi49dofydkho

The Cardinals’ most notable wide receiver addition to this point was the free agent signing of former No. 7 overall pick Kevin White to a one-year deal. White has not lived up to expectations in the NFL, in large part due to injuries, and the Cardinals are looking for a way to unlock his potential.

“That’s what we’re trying to find out,” Kingsbury said. “Taking to guys that have been around him in Chicago -- and I know his college coaches really, really well -- they rave about his toughness, personality, competitive spirit, so I think just a fresh start (helps). He had some tough injuries. He’s still 6-3, 205 and ran a 4.3 at the combine. And so, we got to try and see what he’s got because I watched it in person on the sideline and he can be a dangerous player, and we’re hoping that that’s what we get.”

David Johnson’s lack of production in the passing game was a big storyline a season ago and Kingsbury is expected to remedy that issue. Kingsbury is excited about Johnson’s special skillset.

“He’s a big back and when you split him out and put him in space like that he looks like a true receiver, so that’s a unique combination,” Kingsbury said. “You get a linebacker on him, you should feel comfortable he’s going to win that one.”

Atop Kingsbury’s wish list was a speedster to take the top off a defense. The Cardinals added a candidate to do that just hours after Kingsbury spoke when Damiere Byrd was inked to a one-year deal. Byrd reportedly ran a 4.28 40-yard dash at his Pro Day in 2015.

“I still think we need to look at somebody outside who can take the top off a little bit and scare people as a vertical threat,” Kingsbury said before the Byrd signing. “It looked like last year that was lacking a little bit, particularly when Christian got hurt. They’ll sit on you in this league if you don’t have one guy that scares you.”

Continue reading...