Thielen Making Himself a 'Resource' for Justin Jefferson, Vikings Young WRs

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
qdrcxxachhdg8vsqz28m

EAGAN, Minn. – Adam Thielen blinked, and suddenly he's preparing his eighth NFL season.

The receiver spoke with Twin Cities media members via video conference Tuesday and said it's sometimes surreal how much time has passed since he first caught the eyes of Vikings coaches as a tryout player in 2013.

"It goes by fast, but at the same time it's such a cool thing to have that bank of reps and experience. It just makes this game so much fun," Thielen said. "The more experience you have, the more reps you have under your belt, you just get to go out there and play football and have fun doing it."

From practice squad guy to two-time Pro Bowler, Thielen has developed not only as an athlete but as a leader for younger players in the locker room. That guidance will be especially key this offseason, during which the COVID-19 pandemic has dictated that teams start their offseason programs virtually.

"I think the biggest thing is just allowing them to trust me as a person and as a player to be a resource for them," Thielen said. "First of all, it is good to create a relationship virtually right now, to the point where they feel comfortable asking questions or calling me or coming to train with me.

"That's really my job. I know that I've been able to learn from some veterans that came before me as far as how they handled those things and how they helped me become the player I am," he continued. "I'm just trying to be that resource for those guys and to know that, hey, when I'm teaching these guys and when I'm talking to them, I'm really talking to myself, because there are a lot of things that I need to get better at. And usually it's those things I'm talking about and teaching those young guys – the things that I need to work on the most."