Tramaine Brock Misses Chance At Game-Winning Interception

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
vamcu2oky6sbiwolyabj

Tramaine Brock saw the path to the end zone and imagined the glory, but he forgot the football.

The Cardinals’ cornerback had a chance for a game-winning interception in overtime on Sunday afternoon but a Matt Stafford throw slipped right through his fingers. Five seconds later, the game ended in a 27-27 tie.

“I saw the ball and I knew I had a chance to pick it,” Brock said. “I looked in the end zone. It was just one of those mistakes. Looking in the end zone, not focusing and keeping my eyes on the ball.”

Brock had a couple of ways he could have helped the Cardinals win the game had the interception happened. The first was to return it for a score, and the other was to step out of bounds around the Detroit 32 to set up a field goal.

“I think I would have tried (to score),” Brock said.

While his final play didn’t go well, Brock made a big play earlier in overtime. The Cardinals led 27-24 but a touchdown by the Lions would have won the contest. Brock was in single coverage and knocked a pass away from Kenny Golladay on third down to force a Detroit field goal.

Brock did a good job of timing his leap to avoid pass interference.

“I had to come up and make a play,” Brock sad. “You’ve got to look at him, look at the ball and time it up.”

The cornerbacks held up pretty well in the contest without the services of starters Patrick Peterson (suspension) and Robert Alford (leg). Stafford finished 27-of-45 for 385 yards and three touchdowns but tight end T.J. Hockenson did much of the damage, catching six passes for 131 yards against mostly safeties and linebackers.

Rookie Byron Murphy and second-year corner Chris Jones did not look overwhelmed, and Murphy showed impressive physicality for a defensive back when ball-carriers were near him.

“I’ve always liked to tackle,” Murphy said. “This week in practice, we emphasized corners setting the edge. They were going to make our corners tackle.”

Continue reading...