Turnovers again doom Kyle Allen, Panthers

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
eoafyuymngd8oababjzm

Allen’s first mistake came on Carolina’s first possession. Facing a third-and-4 from his 31-yard line, Allen felt pressure almost immediately after the snap. At that moment, he appeared to think about throwing 15 yards downfield to DJ Moore. But as Allen was getting dragged down by defensive end Takk McKinley, the ball traveled 5 yards and into the hands of linebacker De’ Vondre Campbell.

The Falcons failed to turn that takeaway into points, but early in the second quarter, another Allen mistake took potential points off the board for the Panthers.

Down 10-0, Carolina drove 60 yards on 11 plays to set itself up with a second-and-10 from the Atlanta 15. Like his red-zone interception a week ago in Green Bay, Allen had room to run as he was flushed out of the pocket. But he threw into the end zone for what he thought was an open receiver, and instead of connecting with Moore, the pass was undercut by cornerback Desmond Trufant.

“I just have to take what’s there for us,” Allen said. “It was the same thing as the Green Bay game. I either have to get the ball down or run it. I have to take these things as learning experiences and understand that I can’t make these same mistakes because it ends up with us losing the game.”

All wasn’t lost just yet, even though the Panthers’ deficit had swelled to 20 late in the second quarter. That’s because they were in position to grab points before the half. Do that, get the ball to start the third quarter, and you never know.

But those first-half points never came.

With 17 seconds left in the second quarter, Allen dropped back from the Atlanta 22. He had Moore open inside the Atlanta 10, but the ball sailed to safety Ricardo Allen for the Falcons’ third interception of the opening half.

“It just kind of snowballed on him,” tight end Greg Olsen said of Kyle Allen. “It’s tough. When you have a game like that offensively where you score 3 points, any guy who stepped on the field offensively shares in that blame.

“Obviously, quarterbacks always are the focal point, and that’s just the way the league is. But anybody who played offense for us today did a bad job. To score 3 points in this league at home is pretty bad.”