Versatility Is The Name Of The Game For Colts’ Marvell Tell III

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
xddzkrs7vtkkgpnajfmx

INDIANAPOLIS — The more you can do, the higher the likelihood that you carve your way onto a roster in the NFL.

For Indianapolis Colts 2019 fifth-round pick Marvell Tell III, he could provide help to the Colts in the form of a cornerback, safety and core special teams player.

He played a little bit of cornerback in high school, but was primarily a free safety at USC who would often kick down to cover receivers out of the slot. He is expected to begin his career with the Colts at cornerback.

“I played corner in high school. I worked on my cover skills a little bit as a safety in college,” Tell III told reporters after the draft. “So it’s not anything foreign to me at all.

“I’m quick in short-area range, long arms to get my hands on guys, pretty good eyes and I’m intelligent,” Tell III continued. “So I can break down a receiver or break down the offense and anticipate things.”

Tell III is yet another collegiate team captain that the Colts brought into the fold in this year’s draft, but it’s not just his reliability as a teammate that had teams buzzing.

Tell III tested out of the gym at the Combine.

The only thing about Tell III that didn’t register at an elite level among safeties was his 198-pound weight. Everything else was top-notch:

• Height — 6' 2" — 85th %
  • Weight — 198 — 16th %
  • Wingspan — 80" — 95th %
  • Arm Length — 33⅛" — 91st %
  • Hand Size — 9¾" — 81st %
  • Vertical Jump — 42" — 97th %
  • Broad Jump — 136" — 98th %
  • 3-Cone Drill — 6.63s — 95th %
  • Short Shuttle — 4.01s — 91st %

Athletically, the former high school basketball and track star checks every box. For those concerned about his slender frame, it’s not as much of an issue for a corner typically. That weight is much more common for corners and general defensive backs rather than safeties.

As for his proper weight and body composition, Tell III will work with director of sports performance Rusty Jones to make sure it’s where it needs to be.

Despite Tell III’s frame, he will still get physical with ball carriers and oncoming pass catchers. A lot of defensive backs with his build want no part of contact, but he’s fine with it.