Why Tre Boston feels this moment is different

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
relwthuqcvh8tdndpfdv

"I never really have had to envision (the protests) being (about) my son yet," Boston said. "I've envisioned this fight being for me, other people's sons, other people's brothers, uncles, fathers. But to come home and realize, wow — we're out here protesting for my son's future as well. For him to have a better future, and hopefully, the next four years are better for him, just being a child.

"So to come home and to see that — man, it's powerful. It's powerful because I've said it before, it's surreal because I never imagined having to protest for the same things that my grandparents protested for. But it was a privilege to be out there because it was my time."

When asked if he plans to peacefully protest during the 2020 season, Boston said it's a little premature to know, mostly because players aren't around one another right now due to the COVID-19 pandemic. But he did express his gratitude for team owner David Tepper and head coach Matt Rhule, who have each made it clear they support the players' rights to express themselves. Boston, who has received multiple calls from Tepper, said those discussions have felt more like talking to a friend than with a team owner.

And that message coming from the top down is consistent in crafting a culture that can build a connected team.

"That accounts to wins down the board. That accounts to Coach Rhule being the same way, the GM (Marty Hurney) being the same way," Boston said. "Everybody is the same way, and you want to fight for everybody in that brotherhood. So it's neat to see the culture that we're building here in Carolina again."