You've Got Mail: Draft Week Is Here

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
d7g5wukerurlgsnkb7m9

"Darren, I enjoy your mailbag immensely. It is a cool place to interact with the team's media and I appreciate everything you do for the organization. Do the Cardinals seem to be a organization that tends to promote from within moreso than other franchises? I see front office people stay a long time. Steve Keim is a great example of a rise-thru-the-ranks-type of guy. Adrian Wilson another example. I think it's cool that we have an owner that likes to allow the organization to become a family. Do you see us continuing this model of 'community' and 'within the organization' promotions? It goes as far as the roster too with all of the players with Arizona ties. Do you think we are slightly biased in the name of personal relationships and connections to Arizona when it comes to players and staff? Do you think it ever comes at the teams detriment?"

I mean, there were reasons when the Cardinals drafted the players they have drafted that happen to be from Arizona, so I don't think this really applies to players. As far as the the front office, I mean, yes, when you develop relationships, you know the people you are working with and it makes some sense because you know they fit the culture. There is absolutely something to be said about sometimes bringing in fresh perspectives, but at the same time, there is an unknown there too. I think Keim was deserving when he earned his promotion. Wilson has earned his promotions. But not everyone stays. Jason Licht came and left here twice as he went to find different jobs. Ultimately, no, I don't think it's a detriment -- if you hire the wrong person, in-house or from outside, that becomes the detriment.

From Benny Loy via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...