You've Got Mail: Mock Drafts Before Real Drafts

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
sdqttrmshuqgyr4jzgea

"OK, I'm going to be the one calling for the trade of Chandler Jones. We need picks and cap space. His apparent refusal to renegotiate or extend to help the franchise, $20 million for one sack in five games last year (yes, injury-related) and a like salary this coming year calls for this trade while he still has some value. I would ask for a third and fourth; if you don't think we could get that it just proves my point. On another topic, a few weeks ago it was intimated by you in a mailbag that TV revenue and local Glendale commercial business and not necessarily Cardinals fans' opinions are truly what matters. So, why the mailbag?"

Whew, lot to unpack in this one. I'm getting whiplash from the previous question/analysis of Chandler Jones to this one. Definitely a 180-degree turn. I'm not sure where you are getting his "refusal" to renegotiate or extend. If the team isn't talking to him about it, how is that on him (I'm not saying they are or are not.) And "helping" the franchise is a loaded term that I don't love; if a player wants to do something like that fine, but if they don't, that's cool too. It's their life. If you are insinuating he should take a paycut, I'd disagree. If Chandler Jones were on the open market, he'd be signed in a second for a good chunk of change. Besides, the Cards want him and need him, especially in 2021. I wholeheartedly disagree you should trade him. Not if you are trying to reach the playoffs, which they are. (By the way, he didn't get sacks when he was healthy but he still had quarterback pressures that showed he was doing his job.)

As for the mailbag, I'm not sure to what you are referring, because I don't recall ever making a comparison to TV money and fans' opinions. Why the mailbag? Because it's interesting content and because I want to answer fans' questions the best I can. I'm sorry if you thought this was a device that fans could use as a vote. I certainly never said that was the case.

From Derek Cooper via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...