You've Got Mail: Working In The Offseason

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
uv8o6bbtwp2bkn3k0pag

"There seems to be a big missing piece to this Zaven/Hicks story. Because there's no reason Hicks needs to leave. He's affordable. He's a good veteran. If Zaven flounders, we turn right back to Hicks. To say 'we're letting Hicks go to do him a favor' is frankly BS. We know that's not how it works. Did the team take Hudson's feelings into consideration when they traded for him? No. Hudson of course would've preferred to be released than get traded for. So 'releasing Hicks' is a frankly stupid and reckless move that can ONLY hurt the Cardinals. So why are they doing it?"

I missed something, because as of now, I have not seen anything that says they are going to release him. I've seen that he can try and find a trade, and for all we know, the Cards wouldn't deal him unless they can get a pick in, say, the top three rounds. I don't know. There's another part of the equation we don't know, and that's how they evaluated where Hicks is as a player right now. There had to be a reason they were looking at inside linebacker in the first round, regardless of how talented Collins might be. The Hudson-Hicks scenario isn't a true parallel; Hudson is going to start. Hicks doesn't want to be in a position where he took a pay cut, is definitely on the bench, and then could be released next year without much chance for a decent contract. You're right, the Cardinals have all the leverage. But if teams always just made the cold choices -- and teams do it a lot of the time anyway -- players would notice.

From Chad Johnson via azcardinals.com:

Continue reading...