'It's going to be a slow build': Broncos to rely on veteran defense as young offense matures

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
vx0n7dsrpnujnu07m5nt

Head Coach Vic Fangio said he's optimistic about the ability for rookies Jerry Jeudy, KJ Hamler, Lloyd Cushenberry III to contribute on offense — and Michael Ojemudia on defense — but he won't know for sure until they take the field.

"The early key is going to be they've all had the virtual offseason," Fangio said. "I think they all could pass a bunch of written tests that we could give them right now on their assignments, their responsibilities and their techniques. It will be interesting to see after a week of on-the-field work how much of that is translated to the field. I think they've all done everything they can up to this point. Taking it from the classroom to the field is the next step. Once we see that after a few practices, we'll be able to better answer that. I'm optimistic about all of those guys you mentioned and some others."

Asked about the offensive system as a whole, Fangio said he believes the team is "heading in the right direction."

"Obviously, Pat's a seasoned coach in the league," Fangio said. "He's been a coordinator and a playcaller even when he was the head coach. I feel good about where we're at with that and I'm looking forward to it."

That implementation of what Fangio called a "balanced" offensive system could take some time, but as Lock implements the new system in training camp and Shurmur looks to integrate newcomers like Jerry Jeudy, KJ Hamler and Melvin Gordon, the Broncos' goal will remain the same.

"Bottom line, we have to win," Elway said. "That's ultimately the bottom line. … The idea is we have to figure out how to win football games."

In their attempt to do just that, the Broncos will be aided by a potentially top-five defense that should keep Denver in games early in the season. In 2019, Denver's defense allowed just 19.8 points per game, and the unit should add a healthy Bradley Chubb and Bryce Callahan and veterans Jurrell Casey and A.J. Bouye.

"If you look on the defensive side, for the most part, with the players and veterans that we've added to the defensive side, with the veterans that have been here with another year of understanding Vic's defense and what it's about, obviously, we're going to have to lean on the defense," Elway said. "We have veterans on the defensive side that we can rely on as we grow as an offense. That's the hope. I'd love to see us come out and score 40 points against Tennessee on Monday night. I'm not saying that can't happen, but with the youth that we have, it's going to take some time. Hopefully we can play better defense with the veterans we have coming in and give us a chance.

"Ultimately, [the goal] is to win football games."