'Unfinished business' prompted Aaron Jones' return to Packers

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ilwmsh9upxfqsnxms2qc

Jones was voted to the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career this past season after registering his second consecutive 1,000-yard season, becoming the first Packers running back to achieve the feat since Eddie Lacy (2013-14).

The production established Jones as the top running back on the free-agent market this winter, raising question about whether he'd return to Green Bay for a fifth season.

That uncertainty was alleviated when Jones and Green Bay came to an agreement on a new deal last week, ensuring the Packers' 31-26 loss to eventual Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay in January's NFC Championship Game wouldn't be Jones' final appearance in a green-and-gold uniform.

"I feel like this is a perfect fit for me," Jones said. "I've been in this offense. I know what comes with it. I know my teammates here, and we feel like we have unfinished business."

There will be some noticeable changes on the offensive side of the ball in 2021. All-Pro center Corey Linsley (Los Angeles Chargers) and running back Jamaal Williams (Detroit) both signed elsewhere during the opening week of free agency.

Williams and Jones entered the league together in 2017, with Williams being drafted one round earlier than Jones. The two developed a strong bond away from the field despite the fact they were competing for snaps on it. Jones even joked on Friday that Williams signing with the Lions was an indicator he "couldn't get away from me."

With Williams on the other side of Lake Michigan, the Packers now move forward with Jones and 2020 second-round pick AJ Dillon as their one-two punch in the backfield.

Dillon missed five games last year due a bout with the COVID-19 virus before returning in December. The 6-foot, 247-pound running back showed what he could do in tandem with Jones, breaking free for 124 yards and two touchdowns during the Packers' 40-14 win over Tennessee in Week 16.

"A.J. hit me up right away (after agreeing to re-sign) and was happy to have me back," Jones said. "For us to grow our relationship, and me help him in any way I can and him help me in any way he can … is going to be special. He's already showcased a little of the things that he can do. I think we complement each other really well."