'Unsung hero' Juston Burris getting a shot to shine in his home state

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
hc6jxhgalsgceeqpkixt

Burris ended up starting nine games for the Browns, recording seven passes defensed and a pair of interceptions.

"I think it just gave validation. Not at all do I think I've arrived. I'm still hungry and humble and grateful to be here," Burris said. "But I think it just gave validation into my mind and to others that I'm supposed to be here, I deserve to be here, and I'm going to keep working to stay here.

"I always knew that I could play in this league. I always knew that I could be a guy that the team counted on, and I just had to go out and prove it, had to go out and show it. Last year, I was able to do that. I'm just trying to do it even better this year, do it 10 times better than I did last year, and just keep improving."

The confidence has shown up on the Panthers' practice fields.

"He plays really loudly. He doesn't talk, though, really loudly. He plays really loudly. He plays on special teams. He doesn't complain," Rhule said. "(H) e's been one of the guys this camp that you say to yourself, we've got to keep this guy out here and really let him have an effect on the entire franchise."

To that end, Rhule has been pushing Burris to become more vocal as a leader.

"I'm a guy that doesn't talk too much, kind of keeps things close to the vest, especially compared to other guys on the team who have that vocal leadership experience," Burris said. "I think he's trying to pull that out of me."