11 Takeaways from a Thursday Night Thriller vs. Cardinals

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
pp8jtr2hhvmp7ztk5o6j

9. With under five minutes in the fourth quarter and Arizona trailing by 11, Murray connected to rookie wideout Andy Isabella for an 88-yard touchdown. The receiver reversed field and beat out San Francisco’s defenders en route to the end zone. The Cardinals completed a two-point conversion on a pass to Drake to cut the 49ers lead to three.

10. On San Francisco’s final drive, the offense managed to run down the clock with a series of run plays. On a crucial 3rd-and-9 at the two-minute warning, Garoppolo stepped up in the pocket, and delivered an 11-yard completion to tight end Ross Dwelley to seal the win.

“The play was called to Deebo," Shanahan said. "No. 1 in the progression. I think Jimmy had to scramble to the left. Got a huge play to Dwelley. Dwelley’s been huge for us this last month. We were messing with Dwelley all week. We said, ‘The No. 1 goal in this game was to win, but the No. 2 goal was to improve Dwelley’s yards per catch up.’ We think he was at zero or one. To do that on the last play was pretty cool. I know the guys were pumped up.”

11. Garoppolo finished the game 28-of-37 passing, for 317 yards and four touchdowns for a 136.9 passer rating. Garoppolo had his first 300-yard passing game since Week 15 of the 2017 season. Each of Garoppolo's four touchdown passes came on third or fourth down. The quarterback was 12-of-14 (65 percent) on money downs.

“(Jimmy) played great today,” Shanahan said. “He made a lot of plays in rhythm. Made a lot of off-schedule plays. They’ve got a great pass rush. They have some real tight coverages. They mixed up a lot of stuff. I thought Jimmy played a hell of a game. His best game yet, probably.”