2-Minute Drill: Get to Know Vikings G Dakota Dozier

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
jekjtt4w6aixsoveecca

He was reconnected with Vikings Offensive Line Coach/Run Game Coordinator Rick Dennison, who was in New York for the 2018 season.

“Free agency came, and for whatever reason I thought it’d be time to try something new,” Dozier said. “When teams became interested, the Vikings reached out, and I knew Rico was here.

“I just gave him a call, and we talked and had a really good conversation with him,” Dozier added. “I had him my last year with the Jets, and I really liked the way he coached and the man that he was. It gave me a sense of peace about the decision, but I also did my due diligence and took my visit, and it just immediately felt right.”

Dozier has primarily spent time at left guard with the second-team offense, but he has moved around at times, jumping up to the first unit in a recent practice and also switching to the right side on occasion.

For the 28-year-old, it’s just another way to show his versatility along the offensive line.

“Being a little bit older and going through some things I did with the Jets, I would play multiple positions,” Dozier said. “At first, it can be kind of daunting. If you go from left guard to right guard, it’s reverse footwork. You try not to get caught up with overanalyzing it.

“As long as you learn the play and not the assignment, and I know what everyone is supposed to do, it becomes a little easier,” Dozier added. “The toughest part about it is the mechanics. You have to be real technical how your footwork is. It’s another opportunity, and I want to do the best I can.”