2019 Vikings Position Recap: Cornerbacks

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
mykiyov8c3uqauks3vv4

Highest highs

1. Hughes' interception, the fumble recovered by Waynes and the fumble he forced were three of the seven turnovers forced by the Vikings, giving Purple-clad fans that dominated the stands in Southern California plenty to celebrate.

2. Vikings cornerbacks combined to record five of the team's 11 passes defensed against the New York Giants. The 11 denials accounted for 11.3 percent of the team's total 97 in 2019. Minnesota put the brakes on rookie QB Daniel Jones by limiting him to 21-of-38 passing for 182 yards and a passer rating of 65.9.

Lowest lows

1. Marvin Jones, Jr., caught four touchdown passes and helped Matthew Stafford total 364 yards through the air and a passer rating of 111.7 against the Vikings in Week 7. Minnesota, however, was able to prevail thanks to a season-best 42 points.

2. Courtland Sutton caught five passes for 113 yards, including a 48-yarder, and completed a 38-yard pass to Tim Patrick against Minnesota in Week 11. The Vikings fell behind the Broncos but were able to make adjustments and enable the offense to stage a dramatic comeback.

"Just waiting that long without playing football was killing me. I just had to stay patient, trust the process, and just do everything the trainers and my coaches wanted me to do, and I think everything worked out."

– Hughes after Minnesota's Week 3 win over the Raiders, his first game action since October 2018

"It's [been] a hard season. [Media members] ask me, 'Hey, Xavier, how do you think you played today?' You all know. It's just me, being the guy that I am and working each and every day on my craft and not getting the results I want, of course you're going to be down on yourself. You can ask any player that puts so much work and time into their craft, and that's how they're going to feel. I tell my guys each and every day — I'm never going to give up, and I'm always a fighter."

– Rhodes between Minnesota's loss at Seattle and home win against Detroit