2021 Draft Day 2 Transcripts

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
ajtucesfbzx5orrffrqg

RE: His mentality regarding the blocking aspect of the tight end position and what he has to prove as an offensive player

The mentality that I have every time I step on the field is to try and be the most violent and versatile guy on the field. That's something that I've also got to prove, that I can do everything on the field. Not just a good blocking game or something like that. I'm not going to be put in just one box. That's the main thing that I want to prove at that next level, especially with the Panthers.

RE: Why he did not have more receptions at Notre Dame

I just followed whatever the coaches needed me to do. We had a successful season, we went all the way to the playoffs. Even though I wasn't getting receptions that I would either get in practice or have schemed up in the games, we still won games. It was nothing I ever complained about. I have no problem with that. I don't think at Notre Dame there was a problem with that. It was just what the coaches ended up calling in game time situations and I'm just ready whenever they call my name for that.

RE: If he feels he has to have the mindset to "go look for work in the blocking game" every game

Yes sir. I try to give my 100 percent every time I step on the field. I feel like being violent is part of that. I can't just give about 50 percent on any plays, I give everything I got. Like you said, It is a mindset stepping on the field every single time.

RE: If he needed the game of football to channel the violent mindset

Honestly, you'd be surprised. A lot of people think I'm kind of like a crazy guy or a violent guy off the field, but that's just something I've done my entire life. It's just how I am on the field so it's really funny when people ask me that kind of question.

RE: If he had any background with Panthers first‐round choice Jaycee Horn since they are both from Atlanta

He went to high school actually about fifteen minutes away from me. So, I knew him growing up.

RE: If he ever had to block Horn

I never blocked him but I did play against him in high school.

RE: His experience being the son of a former NFL player

It was one of the best things that has ever happened to me. It was something and someone I could always look up to my entire life. Having that in front of me and giving me a dream to chase really put me in the position that I'm in right now.

RE: His interactions with the Panthers in the pre‐draft process

I had a lot of conversation with our coach, Coach A [Brian Angelichio], our tight end coach here. It was really something that I felt I had a special connection with. He was a really good guy in interviews and just on phone calls, total. I'm just really glad I was able to be picked up by the Panthers. This is my favorite team out of the draft.

RE: Why the Panthers were his favorite team in the entire draft

It's close to home, it's got everything I want, and it's a team on the rise. I can't wait.

RE: What he brings to the team

I think I bring everything to a team. Whatever they need me to do, whether it's block inline, play out of the slot, play fullback, play on all special teams. Anything they need me to do I can do it all. That's something I feel like I can really bring to a team, is everything that they want.

RE: What this night was like waiting to hear his name called

Everyone is kind of sitting in their chairs sweating, waiting for their name to get picked, but the second it was called that all went behind me. It was the greatest thing ever.

RE: The feeling of coming to Charlotte and playing for the Carolina Panthers

It sounds awesome, I can't wait. It's only three hours away from my place now. That was actually one of my first NFL games that I ever went to. It was against the Seahawks and Carolina. I remember that game like it was yesterday. I thought it was crazy. I thought that stadium was insane the way it was built. To be able to play in there, that's just a dream come true.

RE: The most important thing he wants people to know about him

I am a guy that will give my all for this team. No matter what they need, I am giving everything I got. They don't have to worry about any of that, character issues, anything like that. I'm giving everything I can for this team.

RE: The reason for attending the Seattle‐Carolina game

My dad's friend was actually a d‐line coach there, Travis Jones. He was actually with Seattle, but going to the Panthers game, I remember seeing everyone there. I remember seeing Cam Newton, Christian McCaffrey, I thought that was the craziest thing. That was one of the craziest games I ever went to personally, because that is when my entire family went with me. It was a whole family trip. It was the first time we all went to a game together.

RE: If he can beat his sister in a foot race

Now I can. I used to not be able to for a long time but the day I did that was one of the best days of my life, top three.

RE: Memories of former Panthers' tight ends like Greg Olsen

I remember seeing all those guys, especially in that stadium. Greg Olsen, I remember watching him and what he did in that stadium. Seeing a guy be such a pivotal part of the offense, that makes me really excited, because I know to this day that is something that they crave to use is tight ends. I feel like I can really help accelerate that position use.