2021 NFL Draft Prospects for Vikings: Cornerbacks

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
dfb3zj8nm9bjykpmepma

2020 stats: 6 games; all starts at cornerback; 12 total tackles (8 solo), 10 passes defended (1 interception, 9 pass breakups); Third-Team Associated Press All-American; First-Team All-Big Ten

Hometown kid: Although Newsome grew up in Chicago, he attended the IMG Academy in Florida for his senior year of high school. But he returned home to play for the Wildcats in college, where he recorded 25 total passes defended in three seasons. If Newsome is a first-round pick, he will be the first Northwestern cornerback to ever get selected in the opening round.

Davis' deep dive: "We talk about risers and fallers, and some scouts probably roll their eyes because they're locked in on them a lot earlier [than the public is]. They've been doing the work for a while, so they've seen Newsome play and evolve. But then he blows up at his pro day and now everyone is running around saying, 'Oh my gosh, he's incredibly athletic!' But he always has been and that's his calling card. He's a superior athlete and is very decisive. I know some people question his hips and change of direction, but all in all, when you put it all together and ask, 'Is he a first-round type of corner?' I think you're going to say, "Yes.' "