2021 NFL Draft Prospects for Vikings: Tackles

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
bp41lwcgtbxe29ovlplx

"Obviously with the release of Riley Reiff, tackle looks like a glaring hole to me," Baldinger said. "Rashod Hill finished the season there in that last game against Detroit. Ezra Cleveland can play tackle, but I thought he played really good at right guard and probably wouldn't want to change that. If I were the Vikings, I wouldn't want to change two positions to fix one.

"This is a deep draft at tackle, but I don't think it's a great draft at tackle. It's a deep draft, a lot of guys that can play. But I don't see anybody like [2020 first-rounders] Tristan Wirfs or Mekhi Becton or Jedrick Wills in this draft," Baldinger added. "I don't see those players, but I think it's a big need [for Minnesota]. I think guard, they're fine whether it's Dakota Dozier and Cleveland. I think they're fine inside and at center. To me, it looks like there's a big hole at left tackle."

Oregon's Penei Sewell is widely viewed as the draft's top tackle prospect and a likely top-10 pick, although Northwestern's Rashawn Slater is a favorite of some. Baldinger tabbed the 20-year-old Sewell as the player with the highest ceiling of any tackle in the draft.

"But I think he's far from a finished product," Baldinger said. "I think he has everything it takes — size, athletic ability — but I see him struggle against Auburn and Wisconsin. And he didn't play this year [because he opted out due to COVID-19].

"But the highest ceiling is Penei because of his athletic ability," Baldinger added. "But I also think there are … not necessarily flaws … but he has balance issues, strength issues. I'm not ready to say he's the next Jonathan Ogden [a Hall of Famer] like some people are."

Expert rankings