2021 NFL Draft wrap: Packers got more competitive up and down the roster with their nine picks

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
fexsyyq6uo1isql8vxqz

Inside linebacker: Two newcomers last year, undrafted Krys Barnes and fifth-round pick Kamal Martin, moved ahead of Ty Summers in 2020, and the trio now has another young prospect along in sixth-rounder Isaiah McDuffie from Boston College.

Gutekunst planned to address the position earlier in the draft, but his targets were gone when his picks arrived.

"Didn't happen to fall that way for us," he said. "I do like a lot of the young players we have in that room, and I'm expecting those guys to take big jumps. There'll be good competition in that room."

Running back: The Packers have no established pro as their No. 3 behind Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon, so seventh-round pick Kylin Hill from Mississippi State has a legitimate shot at the job.

With only one pick left to make, Gutekunst said the crew in the draft room was "holding our breath there" hoping the explosive, productive Hill would remain available.

Looming over the weekend, of course, was the Aaron Rodgers news. But in addressing it for the first time, LaFleur echoed Gutekunst's faith and optimism that everything can get worked out and the Packers will have the team they planned on, plus these new additions and elevated roster competition, in 2021.

"I can't even take my brain to that spot right now," LaFleur said of Rodgers not being his quarterback. "I can't fathom (him) not being in Green Bay.

"When you have good people that communicate with one another that you can work through tough times, that's what I'm most hopeful about."