25 Seasons of Panthers Football: Rivera leads Carolina to postseason in 2013

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
ft7p5naguoqvbe94lzjj

"It's not always about the gamble of going for it on fourth down," Rivera said. "It's also about the gamble of saying, 'Hey, we're not going to go for it here. We're going to count on you guys (on defense) to hold them.'"

Linebacker Luke Kuechly said Rivera's gambling ways had a positive effect on the entire team throughout the season that produced a 12-4 record and NFC South title and earned Rivera the NFL Coach of the Year award.

Riverboat Ron and the Panthers ended up making 10-of-13 fourth downs and converted 8-of-9 on fourth-and-1 with four touchdowns on those plays.

"What that was kind of all about was that he had confidence in our team," Kuechly said of the birth of Riverboat Ron. "His thought process was, 'We're going to get it - and if we don't get it, our defense is going to play strong and get the ball back for us.' He was just very confident in what we were able to do.

"Most of the time we converted it on fourth down. But I think even the times when we didn't, he was confident enough in us as a defense that it wasn't going to hurt us too much. He's a very confident individual. He's not cocky and he's not arrogant, but he's very confident in what he's doing. And that rubs off on the guys."

Rivera admits that he didn't care for the nickname at first, believing it overshadowed his overall approach. But he has learned to like it. His wife, Stephanie, saw to it that the "Riverboat Ron" moniker got trademarked, and they use that mostly to raise money for charity.

Now there are T-shirts, coffee mugs and more with the proceeds benefitting charities such as the USO of North Carolina, Humane Society of Charlotte and Ronald McDonald House in Charlotte. Rivera even shot a commercial for a local car dealer where he's dressed in typical Old West gambler's attire, ready to sit down for a game of poker as Riverboat Ron.

"I've had to embrace it, because so many people started talking about it," Rivera said. "If there is an opportunity to help someone, we use the name to do that. The whole persona and how people have grabbed onto it, it's neat. But at the same time, I want people to understand that there is a little bit more to everything that I do."

Rivera believes the entire experience has helped him become a better football coach.

"What's been interesting is that I think it's been part of my growth and maturation as a head coach, as somebody who has to make decisions," he said. "I think it's all part of my growing and learning and understanding and trying to make decisions that I believe are the best for the football team.

"I think what happened was in making a couple of the decisions that I did in terms of going for it on fourth down, that sent a message to the guys that we're going to do whatever it takes to win."