3 Observations: Zimmer Gives 7 Vikings ‘Vet Day’ as Youngsters Step Up

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
m0lgkdjuvqpno8sk90t4

Here are three observations from Thursday’s session:

1. Vet day!

With the halfway point of training camp set for Saturday, Vikings Head Coach Mike Zimmer took it easy on his veterans Friday.

Zimmer gave seven players the day off: Harrison Smith, Everson Griffen, Xavier Rhodes, Adam Thielen, Kyle Rudolph, Riley Reiff and Josh Kline observed practice but were not in pads.

Zimmer said he was just taking care of his players, something Rudolph appreciated.

“In my opinion, I think Coach Zimmer has really made a concerted effort this training camp to take care of us,” Rudolph said. “I know me personally, I’ve thanked him a couple times for taking care of us from a schedule standpoint — we’re getting out of here earlier at night, we don’t have as much downtime over the course of the day … the first two practices we had walk-through periods.

“He’s doing things to take care of us,” Rudolph added. “We all know his rule: If we take care of him, then he’ll take care of us.”

The rest day for the veterans gave plenty of other players the chance to step up.

Stephen Weatherly and Ifeadi Odenigbo took reps in place of Griffen, and Jayron Kearse filled in for Smith. Mackensie Alexander, Kris Boyd and Holton Hill all saw time at outside cornerback in place of Rhodes.

Offensively, the combination of Tyler Conklin, Irv Smith, Jr., and Cole Hikutini practiced in place of Rudolph, while Thielen was replaced by a handful of wide receivers, including Chad Beebe, Jordan Taylor, Brandon Zylstra, Laquon Treadwell and Bisi Johnson.

Rashod Hill and Storm Norton filled in for Reiff. Dakota Dozier and Danny Isidora rotated at Kline’s spot at right guard.